Sustainability is a big issue in the world of agave. Unlike other produce used to make spirits such as grapes, wheat or rye which can be planted and harvested within a year, agaves can take anywhere from seven to thirty years to grow and reach maturity. We try to ensure all our brands make their spirits in a sustainable and responsible way, either by producing their spirits in an eco-friendly way by utilizing its waste products; investing in reforestation and replanting programmes or trying to prevent the extinction of rarer species.
Any species of agave have all kinds of uses, making it a hugely valuable plant and can provide all things necessary for human living: Food, water, clothing, and shelter
- Roots, when cooked, are a nutritious meal
- Its sap/aguamiel/honey water is full of nutritious value
- Spikes can be used as needles or pens, or in the past were even used for weapons
- Leaves/pencas can be made into paper; shelter; textile for shoes & clothes
- The quiote could be hollowed out to make instruments; structures for shelter
- In the past and in some rural areas still today the maguey is used in natural medicine to cure indigestion; stomach cramps & pains; labour pains